Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Bend, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Tri County Climate Control LLC can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Tri County Climate Control LLC in Bend a call to begin. You can reach us at 541-238-2797 or book an appointment with us online.