Spring is in the air here in Bend and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Tri County Climate Control LLC team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Tri County Climate Control LLC in Bend a call at 541-238-2797.